Nigel's Mountain Scape 36L

Nigel

New nano scape for a live contest (Vivarium) in November.

Have a look at my Youtube channel :)
>> www.youtube.com/nigelaquascaping
<<

Specs planted tank aquarium
Tank

40x30x30 cm
36 litre / 9.5 gal

Lighting
Aqualighter 1 30cm

Hardscape
Dragon stone

Substrate
Ada la plata
Lava split

Plants
Fissidens mini
Riccardia chamedryfolia
Flame moss
Eleocharis acicularis mini
Buce mini coin

Co2
Pressurized CO2 with a diffusor

Filter
Eheim classic 150

42421121225_c9a74dbb33_k.jpghardscape progress mountain 40cm by Nigel Aquascaping, on Flickr

• Gosto 4
Partilhar nas redes sociais

NIgel, 

This layout looks well and with great proportions, the shadow play is also well achieved. 

Will you use only la plata sand? Try to put one or two stones on the sides of the path instead of having it to much straight. This is my pov, at least you will win a bit more depth  at the hardscape. 

I'll be expecting the development of this aquarium ;)    

Cumprimentos, Ismael Figueira

Projectos correntes - FenrirSkogen / Laurento

Projectos terminados - Ephemeris / Wind Of Change / Woods Stream / Little Nature / Rainforest Reborn - video / Primeiro plantado 300L 'rainforest' - video

On 11/07/2018 at 10:23, ismael_figueira disse:

NIgel, 

This layout looks well and with great proportions, the shadow play is also well achieved. 

Will you use only la plata sand? Try to put one or two stones on the sides of the path instead of having it to much straight. This is my pov, at least you will win a bit more depth  at the hardscape. 

I'll be expecting the development of this aquarium ;)    

Hello thanks for you reply :)

Yes only la plata. I think I will use flame moss in the back as with stems in the back it is harder to transport them to the live contest. Stems can break.

Good tip about the path.

Looking awesome as usual from you! 

Now tell me more about the Vivarium live event. With all the details you can as well are trying to replicate something like that here.

há 9 horas, Tozé Nunes disse:

Looking awesome as usual from you! 

Now tell me more about the Vivarium live event. With all the details you can as well are trying to replicate something like that here.

Thanks man

Vivarium is a big event for aquarium, terrarium etc. On that event there is a contest with 25 players which will bring there 40x30x30cm tank to the event (after giving the players 5 month time to let there scapes grow in). All the stuff for the tank is sponsored by companies. If you win you can keep it all yourself for free. If you don't win you can buy the scape for 100 euros. The companies sponsored: tank, light, cheap filter, soil, hardscape, plants.

Some clips of the hardscape. Enjoy :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HsUbp81W8U

Editado por Nigel

Top view of the mountain hardscape. Almost everywhere in the crevices I put some cig filters to make the hardscape strong as possible so I can transport it to the live contest.
28548618447_c5da9e0cec_k.jpgmountain hardscape top view by Nigel Aquascaping, on Flickr

Decided to try some fine leaved stems in the back. If it doesn't work out I can always go back to flame moss.

• Gosto 1

• 2 semanas depois...

14 days in dry start now. One week before flooding! I will add dhg mini, rotala wallichi, hemianthus micranthemoides to the scape right before flooding. When tank is stable/cycled I will add some HC and buce mini coin.

41862094770_9e552aa197_k.jpgriccardia fiss macro day 14 dsm detail by Nigel Aquascaping, on Flickr
42767177695_d594337636_k.jpgfissidens riccardia day 14 detail shot by Nigel Aquascaping, on Flickr
41862099120_c7dad1fd2d_k.jpgday 14 dsm top view by Nigel Aquascaping, on Flickr

Strange thing is for my eye it looks more rocks are covered in moss since 14 days of dry start! But when comparing photos it even looks like some moss has fallen off due spraying the tank daily. Weird haha!  

42953834984_5aa621436a_k.jpgday 1 vs day 14 dsm by Nigel Aquascaping, on Flickr

• Gosto 2

Room shot of the 40cm mountain scape (dry start) for Aquaflora Vivarium contest. Added a desk lamp to make sure everywhere will reach light. Also with more light I hope mosses will attach faster. Spraying twice a day with RO water to prevent buildup of lime on the glass. Two small openings for ventilation to prevent mold.

28802144667_f72def632f_k.jpg40 cm mountain dry start setup by Nigel Aquascaping, on Flickr

• Gosto 3

That's looking awesome Nigel. A very well thought out layout.
I knew about the cigarette filter technique, but it was only after I saw your video that I finally went ahead and used it myself.
Works a treat even to glue wood.
Trying o setup a nano forest layout just to test this technique and maybe the yoghurt moss one.
I got the hardscape already in place, just need to get the plants.
Your project and videos was very helpful Nigel. Thanks for that.
Good luck for the contest.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

• Gosto 1

Aquadesign blog

Aquadesign by aquamaniac youtube

you can stop me...but you can't stop us all

há 2 horas, Bruno R. Carvalho disse:

That's looking awesome Nigel. A very well thought out layout.
I knew about the cigarette filter technique, but it was only after I saw your video that I finally went ahead and used it myself.
Works a treat even to glue wood.
Trying o setup a nano forest layout just to test this technique and maybe the yoghurt moss one.
I got the hardscape already in place, just need to get the plants.
Your project and videos was very helpful Nigel. Thanks for that.
Good luck for the contest.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Hey Bruno thanks for the kind words

Yes works great the cig filter method :D

Looking forward to your forest! Good luck

Missing the plant names in the vídeo, Nigel! 

Can you id them for everybody understand which and where they are?

• Gosto 2

• 2 semanas depois...

Hi Nigel, 

Using only green plants, why not some redish as rotala vietnam.

BTW, congrats for the IAPLC ranking ;) 

Projectos terminados - Ephemeris / Wind Of Change / Woods Stream / Little Nature / Rainforest Reborn - video / Primeiro plantado 300L 'rainforest' - video

On 05/08/2018 at 01:09, Tozé Nunes disse:

Missing the plant names in the vídeo, Nigel! 

Can you id them for everybody understand which and where they are?

Plants in the left back is: micranthemum micranthemoides

Plant in the right back is: rotala wallichii

In front beside moss some monte carlo and dhg mini.

há 26 minutos, ismael_figueira disse:

Hi Nigel, 

Using only green plants, why not some redish as rotala vietnam.

BTW, congrats for the IAPLC ranking ;) 

Thank you. In the back on the right there will be some color if I can turn wallichii into color with this led and desk lamp.

• 3 semanas depois...

Day 27
Some GDA on the rocks using quite some light in this scape. But I like it, gives a natural feeling. Still a way to go to get the moss in shape and stems above the rocks in the back.

• Gosto 1

• 4 semanas depois...

Looks amazing Nigel. The growth of the moss looks really natural. I would say the moss youghurt technique is a success.

Enviado do meu PRA-LX1 através do Tapatalk

Aquadesign blog

Aquadesign by aquamaniac youtube

you can stop me...but you can't stop us all

• 2 semanas depois...
  • 3 semanas depois...

Riccardia chamedryfolia, fissidens mini and some flame moss
44618682035_9fcf029eff_h.jpgriccardia chamedryfolia fissidens mini moss aquascape - kopie by Nigel Aquascaping, on Flickr

Very tiny baby shrimp. Only a few mm. Hard to photograph! On some micranthemum micranthemoides and on the right some monte carlo leaves.

44618683015_bd3dc66700_h.jpgmm and yellow shrimp nigel aquascaping by Nigel Aquascaping, on Flickr

• Gosto 6

• 1 mês depois...

Congratulations Nigel! 

Great job you have done with this tank!

Can we also be awarded with a final phtoto of this Vivarium winner?

Do you intend to keep this aquarium or will you dismantle it very soon?