Aquário da floresta de Nigel

Nigel

I've lost 20 red sakura in about a month. Mine was very good at hunting, it was kind of amusing to see, but I had to choose between the shrimps or the fish... Well, the fish was easier to catch, and he is now in a really nice new home with a new owner.

• Gosto 1
Partilhar nas redes sociais

Amazing photos nigel. Nice to see the photos are coming along nicely, got to catch up on your videos havent had much time for youtube lately, even to make my own videos.

Aquadesign blog

Aquadesign by aquamaniac youtube

you can stop me...but you can't stop us all

On 5-3-2018 at 23:29, Bruno R. Carvalho disse:

Amazing photos nigel. Nice to see the photos are coming along nicely, got to catch up on your videos havent had much time for youtube lately, even to make my own videos.

Thanks man! ;)

Yeah it takes up a lot of time making videos. Can be hard in busy life. I am gonna make 2 more final videos of my ada 45p and this forest. But this will be shared after contests.

gggffssgsfff
Citação
Prachtige foto!!

Heb de mijne er nooit zo mooi opgekregen:'(;)

Editado por Nigel

• 1 mês depois...

Moving on to mixing my own ferts. It is cheaper and have I more control to get the values that I desire. Going for an ADA approach with more PO4. Gonna make three bottles. One with N/P, one with K and one with micros.
27909222838_704bd3543a_k.jpgdry salts planted box 2.0 by Nigel H, on Flickr

Hi Nigel, it's always a pity when we dismantle our  tanks, have you ever considered selling the final work to someone interested and start new tanks? Think about it ;) 

Talking about diy fertilizers, what will be their composition? 

há 50 minutos, Nigel disse:

Going for an ADA approach with more PO4

Ada now have taken away po4 from their fertilization...

http://www.adana.co.jp/en/contents/products/na_liquid/new_liquid/index.html

há 54 minutos, Tozé Nunes disse:

Hi Nigel, it's always a pity when we dismantle our  tanks, have you ever considered selling the final work to someone interested and start new tanks? Think about it ;) 

Talking about diy fertilizers, what will be their composition? 

Ada now have taken away po4 from their fertilization...

http://www.adana.co.jp/en/contents/products/na_liquid/new_liquid/index.html

Yes it was weird to take it down but I was ready for the next project :)

Some people told me I should set up scapes at homes and do maintenance if they want. I am thinking about to do it. Sounds fun. I rather keep my own hardscape that I have collected instead of selling it. 

I like to follow Dennis Wong and his approach. A very succesful plant grower and scaper. He likes lean dosing but with more PO4. He said about more PO4 use: 

“I dose more for better plant growth in general: compared to nitrates phosphates are more reactive and easily precipitate out of the water, For some red plants it exaggerates the redness”

For the start I am aiming for (daily):

N: 0,5 ppm

P: 0,2 ppm

K: 2,5 ppm

Micros just as suggested on the package and it also contains iron which will be around 0,07 ppm daily.

When plantmass increases I am tweaking further.

Regards

Nigel

Editado por Nigel
  • Gosto 1

há 8 minutos, Nigel disse:

Some people told me I should set up scapes at homes and do maintenance if they want. I am thinking about to do it. Sounds fun. I rather keep my own hardscape that I have collected instead of selling it. 

I was thinking that after last shot for the contests you may sell the tank (glass and everything inside at least) and if the buyers wanted  you would do further maintenance as well. So people who wanted to have such a masterpiece full maturated at their homes would pay the asked price. And you could keep your new tanks at home and get paid for it! How cool would that be? :)

há 15 minutos, Nigel disse:

For some red plants it exaggerates the redness”

With that i'm even more confused! Ada says to give nitrates and iron to get more red and avoid phospates as, in their opinion, gives more algae problems! 

In mine tank, as i had dosing only Potassium and micros i had nice redish colors among certain plants, as soon as i starting dosing extra nitrates, phosphates and some ureia as well, plants got more growth but more green also...

há 13 minutos, Tozé Nunes disse:

I was thinking that after last shot for the contests you may sell the tank (glass and everything inside at least) and if the buyers wanted  you would do further maintenance as well. So people who wanted to have such a masterpiece full maturated at their homes would pay the asked price. And you could keep your new tanks at home and get paid for it! How cool would that be? :)

With that i'm even more confused! Ada says to give nitrates and iron to get more red and avoid phospates as, in their opinion, gives more algae problems! 

In mine tank, as i had dosing only Potassium and micros i had nice redish colors among certain plants, as soon as i starting dosing extra nitrates, phosphates and some ureia as well, plants got more growth but more green also...

That would be cool for sure. Thanks for the compliment

I do not think the extra phosphates caused the plants to color up green. But the extra no3 probably made the plants more green. To bring out more red in plants there is a combination that is important. Starve the plants with no3 (not to much) and they will color up more. Need to find a good balance of not starving to much and not giving to much no3. Also iron and light plays a role.

Did you only dose potassium and micros to stop growth / less maintenance, but keep them sort of "healthy"?

I don't believe that high phosphates cause algae.. Dennis Wong tanks are very clean and he uses a 2:1 ratio of no3:po4

The information that they give is very confusing... I think they mean you need to add a little no3 for good plant health but it how they describe it people may think to add lots of no3.

Editado por Nigel

há 1 hora, Nigel disse:

Did you only dose potassium and micros to stop growth / less maintenance, but keep them sort of "healthy"?

I was only following Ada instructions, and fertilizing with only Potassium (Brighty K) and micronutrients (Step 1,2 and 3), not the original ones but with salt just like you start doing now. Then for the extra growth and color start fertilizing with one ADA DIY receipt Nuno Matos published with Ureia along the regular KNO3, KH2PO4 used in regular Estimate Index formulas. And as i said before rotalas went more green and HM exploded in growth! That said without changing previous amounts of light or co2 .

há 42 minutos, Tozé Nunes disse:

I was only following Ada instructions, and fertilizing with only Potassium (Brighty K) and micronutrients (Step 1,2 and 3), not the original ones but with salt just like you start doing now. Then for the extra growth and color start fertilizing with one ADA DIY receipt Nuno Matos published with Ureia along the regular KNO3, KH2PO4 used in regular Estimate Index formulas. And as i said before rotalas went more green and HM exploded in growth! That said without changing previous amounts of light or co2 .

Ah now I understand why only potassium and micros. You have an aqua soil right? This will do the work for first months.

I searched for Nuno Matis ADA DIY recept and with this one you have basically low no3 0,61 ppm. This is close to what I am aiming for 0,5 ppm daily.

32005721210_ae08eac55c_b.jpgADA 3 by Nuno Matos, on Flickr

If you switched to the EI UREA you are dosing 2,86 ppm daily (NO3) which probably caused the plants go green.

31540571964_889a299d29_b.jpgEI 3 by Nuno Matos, on Flickr

Or did you not swap to EI urea + kno3?

Editado por Nigel
  • Gosto 1

Dosing with the first one - the ADA DIY (Urea) but only half of the recomended daily dose in terms of N and P, the K and micros are apart in two other bottles. So in fact i'm dosing daily  0.45 ppm of N, NO3 and Urea, 0.21 ppm of P and PO4, 3.88 ppm of K and 1.36 of S along with the 0.02 of Fe.

há 33 minutos, Nigel disse:

You have an aqua soil right?

Yes, you can see here the tank:

há 3 minutos, Tozé Nunes disse:

Dosing with the first one - the ADA DIY (Urea) but only half of the recomended daily dose in terms of N and P, the K and micros are apart in two other bottles. So in fact i'm dosing daily  0.45 ppm of N, NO3 and Urea, 0.21 ppm of P and PO4, 3.88 ppm of K and 1.36 of S along with the 0.02 of Fe.

Yes, you can see here the tank:

Very nice tank! :) Are you entering contests with it?

So you have low No3. Your FE may be a bit higher like 0,03 - 0,04 but it's not a big difference at all. Any idea how much par your lights give at the substrate?

Thanks Nigel. Hope so, still one month to make the photoshooting, we portuguese always levae things for the last day, unless we get paid earlier :p 

In terms of par i have no idea at all! I know i have plenty of light by the heavy pearling i have at peak hours...still not those high end rgb in the market now, needed to steal one bank to afford it!

há 1 minuto, Tozé Nunes disse:

Thanks Nigel. Hope so, still one month to make the photoshooting, we portuguese always levae things for the last day, unless we get paid earlier :p 

In terms of par i have no idea at all! I know i have plenty of light by the heavy pearling i have at peak hours...still not those high end rgb in the market now, needed to steal one bank to afford it!

Haha :) Good luck shooting! Looking forward to the picture.

Hmm high light, good Fe, low no3 should give red plants / colors ... I am not sure then sorry!

Oh yeah I really like rgbw units.. I have chihiros rgb, twinstar e series and ada rgb solar. All are nice but I prefer the twinstar and ada rgb solar. Ada rgb solar is awesome but comes with a heavy price tag...

On 07/05/2018 at 15:01, brunofasoares disse:

Excellent. Great details is what your scape is all about. Amazing.

Thank you Bruno ;)

• 2 semanas depois...

Love tour forests Nigel. However I do wonder how you would fare with other styles. I am guessing you would do great.
But it would be fun to see what you would come up with let's say in a iwagumi style.

The tearing down when things are not going good is easy.
Sometimes you just want of get out of it instead of grinding out the problems.
But when the tank looks amazing then it's tough.

My bonsai tree tank I kept with it when it was looking horrible, more than once I felt I should take it down, and it would have been easy to do it.

But now that it looks good I can't bring myself to do it even though I don't think there's more I can do with it.
Worse because it looks good the missus doesn't want it to go.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Aquadesign blog

• 1 mês depois...
  • 3 semanas depois...
My first IAPLC letter. Very exciting! Goal was top 500. Very close :)
43945013221_d6c90c5182_k.jpgiaplc rank 477 by Nigel Aquascaping, on Flickr
Congrats mate. Its a good start, it will only get better in years to come.

Enviado do meu PRA-LX1 através do Tapatalk

Aquadesign blog

há 7 horas, Bruno R. Carvalho disse:

Congrats mate. Its a good start, it will only get better in years to come.

Enviado do meu PRA-LX1 através do Tapatalk

I hope bro! Thank you